Undercooked Bear Meat Leads to Parasite Infection in Family

Undercooked Bear Meat Leads to Parasite Infection in Family

Undercooked Bear Meat Leads to Parasite Infection in Family

A family gathering in South Dakota took a scary turn after several members became infected with a parasite from undercooked bear meat.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently reported the case. It involved a 29-year-old man who fell ill after attending a family meal. He experienced fever, muscle soreness, and eye swelling.

Doctors traced the illness back to bear meat kebabs served at the gathering. The meat, harvested in Canada, was frozen for a month before being cooked. Unfortunately, it was initially served rare due to its darker color. Though recooked later, the damage was done.

Testing confirmed a roundworm infection called trichinellosis. This parasite, found in wild game like bear, can migrate through the body to muscles and even the brain.

The CDC emphasizes the importance of thoroughly cooking wild game to an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) to kill any parasites.

Five other family members, including a child, were also diagnosed with the parasite. Three required hospitalization, but all were treated successfully with medication.

This case highlights the potential dangers of consuming undercooked wild game. While not everyone infected experiences symptoms, some may develop serious health problems.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/brain-worms-bear-meat-south-dakota-family-gathering-minnesota-arizona/

50 Views